Protection of the public

Unhappy with your advisor

If you have doubts about the professionalism of an advisor or believe a product sold does not suit your needs, if possible, try to ask the advisor for more information about the products sold to you. Explain what you do not like – nothing beats a good conversation!

If this individual is your own advisor and if the circumstances allow for it, review your financial situation with them, as well as your expectations or financial objectives. Clarifications from both sides could be sufficient to improve the situation.

If you are still not satisfied, contact the firm or dealer to which your advisor is attached, if that is the case, in order to speak with another advisor or the manager of the firm or dealer.

If the previous steps are unsuccessful or if you prefer not to have a conversation with the advisor in question depending on the context and the state of your relationship with them, you can submit a request for an investigation to be opened. Here are a few reasons that may justify submitting a complaint:

  • You are not satisfied with the services you received,
  • You can't get certain explanations or information;
  • You believe that the advisor has failed to comply with ethical rules, legislation or regulations relating to the conduct of his or their business.

If you desire, you can make a complaint to the syndic by requesting an inquiry by downloading the request for investigation dynamic form. You will need to complete the form, save it and send it to the email address: It is also possible to send a postal inquiry request form (print and fill it out by hand).

Who can ask for an inquiry?

Anyone can send a request for an inquiry to the syndic of the CSF. For example, consumers, insurance companies, consumer protection agencies, firms or dealers, the Autorité des marchés financiers, the Fonds d’indemnisation des services financiers, CSF members or any other person can file a request for an inquiry. The syndic or the assistant syndic can also initiate an inquiry on their own initiative.

When can a request for an inquiry be filed?

There is no deadline for doing so. In essence, a request for an inquiry can be filed as soon as a complainant is of the opinion that the advisor has committed an ethical fault, such as not acting in accordance with the mandate given to him or violating one of the two codes of ethics or any related regulation with which representatives are required to comply.

Who can be the subject of a request for an inquiry?

Only CSF members can be the subject of an inquiry carried out by the office of the syndic. However, the syndic can investigate offences committed by a person who is no longer a CSF member if the person was a member at the time the alleged offences were committed.

Each request is carefully processed and each case is reviewed. A decision is made in light of the facts and the evidence in the file. It goes without saying that every request for an inquiry is seriously examined. The primary purpose of the inquiry process is the protection of the public. It also serves to sustain and improve the profession, ensuring that the professionals who work in the financial products and services industry are skilled and ethical individuals, all for the benefit of the public. The supervision of the practices of professionals contributes to maintaining their credibility in the eyes of the public.